Friday, July 6, 2012

getting ready to welcome our first nephew!

Paul's sister, Kelly, is about ready to pop with their second kiddo! She is due August first, and we can't wait to meet our first nephew, Lane Allen! We love Taylor to pieces, and I know we will be just crazy about Lane, too!

This past Saturday, one of Kelly's best friends and I hosted a baby shower brunch to help her prepare for their first little BOY. It was lots of fun, and she got lots of sweet things. Lane is already very loved! I didn't get many pictures with my camera because Kelly wanted pics on her camera, but below are a few I managed to snag with mine.

{a little cardstock + scrapbook paper + glue = some pretty cute (if I do say so myself) homemade invitations!} 
{I found this little feet stamp at Hobby Lobby and thought it was a sweet embellishment}
{I decoupaged some chipboard letters with scrapbook paper, used a staple gun to attach them to some burlap ribbon, and then added a couple of bows for a little monogram decoration on the mantle.}

{lots of present-love for baby Lane}

{the food table...and see the tray in the bottom left corner? It's blueberry lemon bundt cake..a few people asked for the recipe, so read on if you want to try it out yourself! :)

 {I love sunflowers; they're so cheery!}

{with the glowing Mama!}

{blueberry lemon bundt cake. original recipe here}

Here's how I made it:

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix PLUS whatever ingredients the cake mix calls for
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
zest and juice of one lemon
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to temperature according to boxed mix for a bundt pan.
2) Liberally grease your bundt pan. 
3) Add blueberries and water to a small saucepan to simmer for 5 mins, then allow to cool.
4) Mix all cake mix ingredients according to directions, folding in the cup of yogurt, lemon juice and zest.
5) Puree blueberries using a hand blender or food processor/stand blender.
6) Pour batter into bundt pan.
7) Pour puree into cake batter and use a butter knife to swirl or ribbon the puree through the batter...do NOT stir.
8) Bake according to the box instructions (may take a little longer because of the additions).
9) Allow to cool before inverting and removing.
10) Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh blueberries rolled in white sugar and a lemon slice twist.

*Unfortunately, my cake "fell" not long after I took it out of the oven. Not sure what caused that. The consistency, probably due to it falling and the fact that it has yogurt in it, was more like a pound cake. It was super moist, and I thought had a great flavor. I ate some of the leftover cake for breakfast. :) Let me know how it turns out for you if you try it!

Now hurry up and get here, baby Lane! Ra-Ra (that's what Taylor calls me) is ready to squeeze your sweet little cheeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

love hearing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...